This is the first of a brand new 10 week series of posts. As you can tell by the title, it's all about food! I've been bookmarking recipes for months and am finally getting around to actually trying them out! I expect some of them to work out and others to fail miserably, either way, you'll read about them here and I'll rate them at the end!
5 stars means scrumdiddlyumptious
4 means yummy
3 means so-so
2 means not so wonderful
1 means utter failure.
To kickstart, let me introduce to you:
Candied Pink Grapefruit
2 small grapefruits
2 1/4 c granulated sugar
1 1/2 c water
1. Cut the peels off freshly scrubbed grapefruits. Remove some of the pith, evening out each piece. I found it easier to narrowly slice them first.
2. Fill a pot with water and bring it to a boil. Boil the peels for 5 minutes then strain. Repeat this process with fresh water 3 more times, for a total of 4 fresh pots of water.
3. After straining the final time, fill the pot up with 1 1/2 cups of water and the sugar then add the peels. Turn the heat on low and let the syrup simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours until the peels are translucent.
4. Once they're translucent, lay them out on a rack to dry overnight.
5. After they're dry, roll them in some more granulated sugar and then enjoy!
They had the tangy flavor grapefruit is famous for but easier to eat and with sugar included- think grapefruit sour patch kids!
Find the original recipe here